One of the most fun and interesting things for me, is the annual gathering of the yet2.com & yet2Ventures leadership teams. Our offices in; Tokyo, Liverpool, Boston and Wilmington Delaware get together to share leanings and observations on technology trends. Our perspective is a little unusual because we touch; open innovation, IP licensing, technology scouting and venture capital – so I pay close attention to the discussion.
Some high level learning’s?
- Corporates generally have high amounts of cash and dry R&D pipelines. They are paying a lot more attention to startups. The IPO window is closed, but the M&A one is opening.
- Mobile Everything (Ok this is not much of a new learning).
- Many to many business models are growing rapidly. See; LiquidSpace, RelayRides, Waze, AirBnB. What are the industrial corollaries to these?
- Dont give up on the material sciences – there is still quite a lot of great new technology coming to market.
- Lots of impressive image capture and image display technologies are also coming to market.
- All things being equal, Phil will take us on a 20 mile hike.
But mostly, I’m grateful to be in this business, and I’m grateful to be working with such a bright and dedicated group at yet2.